Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Queen Edith's Cambridge
  • /
  • Hills Road (South)
  • Back Forward
Low-angle view of a modern apartment block with brown brickwork, horizontal orange panels, and large glass windows.

The Levels Hills Road Cambridge

154 Hills Road – Babraham Dairy/Panos Restaurant/The Levels, Cambridge

Historical notes on The Levels Hills Road site

1911

(154 Hills Road Babraham Dairy)

Samuel Noble, 42, dairy manager, born St Andrews the Less Cambridge

Elizabeth Ann, 44,  born St Andrews the Less Cambridge

Samuel Albert B, 19, hosiers porter, born St Andrews the Less Cambridge

Percy Earnest L, 14, newsagents boy, born St Andrews the Less Cambridge

Samuel Albert Brooks was a private in the 7th Battalion Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment and was killed in action 28th September 1916. See entry on 22 Marshall Road.


The earliest buildings on this site were:

148 A W Morlin – ironmonger, oil, colour  and glass merchant

150 Mrs Rowbottom – confectioner

152 Harold S Driver – stationer

154 Samuel Noble – The Babraham Dairy

156 (Fairholme) R T Coleman – baker, confectioner

158 Langford and Sons – greengrocers and florists

160 (Wingfield) Thomas Merriman

162 (Hatfield House) John M Penberthy – fancy draper

164 (Cavendish Stores) Thomas Drake – grocer

By the 1930s the Babraham Dairy had become the Rock Estate Dairy run by Miss E Freestone.

The Panos restaurant was set up on the combined properties of 152 and 154 in the 1970s by Panos Antoniou from Cyprus and his French wife Genevieve.

Sources: Cambridge News (Cambridgeshire Collection), UK census

1939

(152) Thomas W Brown, b 1885, insurance agent

Lilian D, b 1885

(154) Arthur A Dean, b 1864, printer retired

Jane P, b 1869

Jenny D, b 1892, laundry packer and sorter

Winifred F, b 1910, shop assistant draper

?

?

1962

A W Morlins, bldrs merchants

(152a) Miss D Carey

(154) Miss E Freestone, grocer

1979

1979 10 27

The Panos Restaurant in Hills Road, Cambridge, opened three weeks ago and provides an excellent cabaret – Panos Antoniou who is owner, cook and sometimes waiter. When not employed behind the counter, charcoal grilling the juicy, tender steaks for which this restaurant will soon become famous (mark my words), he spreads himself over a chair at a vacant table and puffs a cigar, keeping up relentless badinage with the diners. It is pricey – a bottle of house wine was £2.85 and Scotch steak au poivre vert, £5.95 with coffee at 45p for an inexhaustible potful – but considering the high quality the damage did not seem that unkind.

Credit: Mike Petty, Cambridge Hills Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • architecture
  • work
  • world war one

Projects

  • Hills Road (South)

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hills Road (South)

161 Victoria Road, Cambridge

4 Cowper Road, Cambridge

28 St Mary’s Street

317 Hills Road

248 Hills Road, Dalkeith/Smalldene, Cambridge

187 Hills Road (Inisfail/Hermaion), Cambridge

176 Hills Road, Trumpington House Lodge, Cambridge

289 Hills Road, Glebe Lodge, Cambridge

Hills Road (South), Cambridge

189 (187/189) Hills Road (former St John’s Vicarage), Cambridge

Roman Camp, Cambridge

215 Hills Road, Glen Mervyn, Cambridge

228 Hills Road, The Hawthorns, Cambridge