24 Bridge Street, the Quant Post, Windmill, Black Swan
History of 24 Bridge Street
The early history of this site is from T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s Parish, 2006
c. 1314: Robert Tuylet as a tenant of Barnwell Priory in succession to Walter de Horseheath
c.1355: held on lease by Guy de Repham
1382: known as ‘Roundhalle’. May have been used as lodging hall for students.
1443: tenement of Thomas Camp, owned by Barnwell Priory
1478: let to William Dak at rent of 2s 6d
1565: lease issued for 21 years at rent of 20s
1607-25: John Stinnit later Margaret
1635-41: Edward Annable
mid 17th cent: tenant for Alderman John Lukin. Lukin was probably a brewer. House was probably Black Swan alehouse and let to Mr Purchas.
1644-54: John Reeve for Quant Post in 1646; later Thomasin Reeve
1666-1700: John Robinson in no. 24 by 1666 and still there in 1690; for Windmill in 1672 and 1674; William Robinson in 1700.
1701: Peter Lightfoot bequeathes Clare lease of no. 24 to his wife Joyce; Thomas Riches in occupation.
1713: Widow Riches, unlicensed, takes dubious delivery from Mr Thompson
1718-42: Joyce Lightfoot bequeathes lease of Windmill in 1718; John Lamkin in occupation.
1752: not listed
1754-70: James Chiswick for Black Swan in 1755 and later years
1771-1855: Black Swan listed continuously
1856: not listed
J S Moore & Son, cab proprietors
Samuel Lee, ladies hairdresser