Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Bridge Street
  • Back Forward
A narrow, cobble-stoned yard with light-colored buildings and a person standing on the ground near the center of the frame.

Jordan’s Yard, before 1934 (photo L J Jarman)(Cambridgeshire Collection)

Jordan’s Yard, Cambridge

History of Jordans Yard

1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: Nos. 1,2,3,4, and 4a Jordan’s Yard, forming a range of dwellings pf three stripes with cellars, with plastered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, continue and are of the same build as Nos 15 and 16 bridge Street….. Generally the buildings contain a quantity of 16th and 17th cent.panelling, some in No.1 in situ, and plain 18th cent. fittings.

No.5 Jordan’s Yard…has plastered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs. The E part is of the 17th century; in the 18th cent. the W part was built between the foregoing and 4a Jordan’s Yard.

This was an alleyway, perpendicular to Bridge Street, between nos. 13 and 12.

Benjamin Jordan was a livery stable-keeper in the first half of the 19th century. In 1861 when up for sale there were five houses in the yard, a farriery, a smithy, a farmyard and a garden, and stabling for 50 horses. the fifth house was the home of Professor Mayor, president of St John’s College. (J.H.Bullock – Bridge Street, 1939). In 1904 his neighbours were a bedmaker, a blacksmith and a painter.

A detailed 1888 city map section showing the layout of Bridge Street, including St. Clement’s Church and several yards.

Cambridge City Plan, 1888


For data on recipients of Cambridge Charity Organisation Society support see Mapping Relief.


1861

(1)

Helen Larkins, 61, college servant, b Suffolk

Martha, 34, seamstress

Caroline Purkiss, 31, college servant

Henry Purkiss, 7, grandson

In 1851 the Larkins were living in Park Street

(2) Robert Dent, 49, shoeing smith, b Norfolk

In 1853 the Dent family were at 11 Manor Street; in 1851 they were at the Black Swan, Bridge Street.

(3) Samuel Wilson, 74, printer, b Cambridge

(4) vacant

(5) vacant

(6) Richard Farrow, 57, groom, b Tadlow

1896

In this year the photographer William Butcher is known to have been living at 7a. (https://www.fadingimages.uk/photoBu.asp)

1901

(1) vacant

(2) vacant

(3) Eliza Topnam, 71, college bedmaker, b Essex

(4) Elizabeth Williams, 56, college servant, b Cambridge

(5) John E B Mayor, 76, professor of Latin, b Ceylon

(6) Arthur Austin, 38, picture frame maker, b Cambridge

(7) Harry Hubbard, 38, b Mildenhall

1913

There were 13 addresses there:

  1. William Burcher, warehouse and workshop
  2. Millington & Everitt, electrical engineers
  3. E H Rhodes, cycle stores
  4. Mrs E Williams
  5. Mrs Susan Frances Priest, The Hermitage
  6. Arthur J Austin
  7. William Gair
  8. Moses Marks, tailor
  9. Mrs H Barton, Frederick Barton
  10. Frederick W Aplin
  11. Henry Thomas Sharp
  12. Mrs S Betson

Holden’s Stables

13. Mrs Vail

1939

A narrow alleyway with tall brick buildings on both sides leads to an archway, with a distant cyclist visible in the light.

Jordan’s Yard, 1939 (Cambridgeshire Collection)

1942

On the night of 27th July 1942 the repair shop of Allin’s Garage at 5 Jordan’s Yard received a direct hit from a 250 kg HE bomb which caused the collapse of adjoining houses.

1962

  1. –
  2. Peters
  3. Miss G Morley
  4. Miss I Williams
  5. James Madge
  6. William Buckle

6a. Timothy Meehan

Weathered brick buildings and a large dumpster surround a courtyard with a parked car, topped by the tower of St John's.

Jordan’s Yard looking towards St John’s chapel tower? (MoC 434/74)

View overlooking a narrow, uneven urban yard with parked cars and weathered buildings in front of a tall Gothic church tower.

Jordan’s Yard, Bridge Street (MoC6.75)


Jordan’s Yard is also mentioned in ‘Going Up: To Cambridge and Beyond’ by Frederick Raphael (2015)

Tags

  • bombing
  • world war two

Projects

  • Bridge Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Bridge Street

99 Hurst Park Avenue

Evacuees and Refugees in Cambridgeshire

20 Queen’s Meadow

61 Bridge Street

70 Bridge Street, Lindum House, the Flying Stag, the Royal Oak, the Wild Man

49 Bridge Street

35 Bridge Street

31 Bridge Street (31 – 32) / Anchor Inn

Bridge Street

12 Bridge Street, The George Inn, Cambridge

documents

6 – 7 Bridge Street

19 Bridge Street, Baron of Beef

54 Bridge Street, The Spread Eagle / The Brown Horse, Stetchworth Dairy