4 Bridge Street, Hoop Inn
History of 4 Bridge Street
Pevsner notes, nos 3-4 (altered, formerly part of the Hoop Inn, are of 1729. Heads in the keystones of the upper floor.
1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: it was built in 1729. In the 19th cent. the middle flights of the staircase were refashioned and the first floor windows to the street modified…. Nos. 3 and 4 together once formed part of the Hoop Inn, earlier than the Bell Inn.
A B Gray noted in 1921 in Cambridge Revisited:
The well-known house in bridge Street (No.4) with iron rings under the eaves and grotesque masks above the windows was built, together with the adjoining house, in 1729, and has been known successively as Ye Bell Inn and The Hoop. Though the glories of the The Hoop are now past, its fame is immortalised by Wordsworth in his prelude:
Onward we drove beneath the castle; caught
While crossing Magdalene Bridge, a glimpse of Cam;
And at the Hoop alighted, famous Inn.
Till well past the middle of the 19th century the Hoop was the headquarters of the Whig party, the eagle in Bene’t Street being that of the Tories.
Frank Dalton & Co, hunting boot makers
W P Hollis proprietor
- Miss Jacobs
- Mrs Girdlestone
(3-7) King and Harper, motor agents