Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

6 – 7 Bridge Street

History of 6 Bridge Street

Pevsner notes, a big gabled building of 1903.

William King, 6 Bridge Street

1904

Building acquired by William King and Harold Harper as their new workshop.

King Motor Bicycles

Notes on William Kings Life 1870

………….

King Motor Bicycle 1903 model

1905

William King’s shop and warehouse was here

In 1911 the King family were living at 7 De Freville Avenue. In 1900 they had been at 30 Sidney Street and in 1902 at Garden Walk.

…………

1913

King and Harper, motor and cycle makers and agents

Edwin Charles Sebley, chronometer, watch and clockmaker

………….

King and Harper, Bridge Street

1953

In 1953 from who’s who in the Motor Industry

King & Harper Ltd.

Car and Light Commercial Vehicle Stockists. Heavy Vehicle Distributors. 6 and 7, Bridge Street, Cambridge. Telephone: 3201. And at Hills Road, Milton Road and Thompsons Lane, Cambridge. Directors: H. H. Harper (Governing). D. N. Harper. K. 0. King. F. A. Pedley. A. M. Wells.

……………

1962

(3-7) King and Harper, motor agents

…………..

(Basement)

1966-2001 YHA Adventure Shops plc
2003 – current Mountain Warehouse

(Ground floor)

1966 Waterstones
2002-2010 JM Dunkerton (Cult Clothing)
2010 – current Outdoor & Cycle Concepts (Cotswold Outdoor)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.