Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
14 Market Hill, Macintosh and Sons

14 Market Hill

History of 14 Market Hill

According to 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge, a four storey house. The south front an early 18th century remodelling  and heightening of an earlier structure. In the process the carriageway, presumably to the Angel Inn as shown in William Custance’s map of 1798, was destroyed.

The ironmongery here was founded in 1688. When Swann Hurrell took over the business from his uncle in 1847 he moved the foundry to a disused brewery on Quayside.

1688

William Finch ironmonger took over premises. Four generation of Finches followed

1841:

Swann Hurrell, 40, ironmonger [nephew of the Finch family]

Catherine, 45

Anna, 14

Mary Cooper, 38, servant

Elizabeth Cooper, 20, servant

James Chapman, 17, servant

James Hart, 19, servant

[In 1851 Swann Hurrell is at 7 Market Hill]

………………..

1851:

Thomas Edward Chisholm, 49, yeoman, b London

Mary Ann, 47, b Cambs

Thomas Donkin Chisholm, 25, b Cambridge

Mary Ann, 22, b Cambridge

Henry Edward, 18, b Cambridge

Thomas, 71, father, b Cambridge

Mary Ann, 50, b Cambridge

Hannah Donkin, mother in law, 79, b Durham

Jane Donkin, sister in law, 45, b Darlington

Caroline Donkin, sister in law, 35, b Darlington

Mary Ann Fisk, visitor, widow, 26, b Devon

…………..

1861:

William Rowton, 41, ironmonger’s clerk,  b Cambridge

Mary, 51, b Cambridge

Hannah Ayres, 20, servant, b Bottisham


1870:

Swann Hurrell was succeeded by his nephew Edward Beales.

…………..

1871:

(occupied as a shop)


1881

……………..

1884

Alexander Macintosh bought the bankrupt ironmongery business of Edward Beales and moved to 14 Market Hill. They already hand premises at 21 and 23 Market Street, 2 Sussex Street, 49 Sidney Street and 54a Hills Road. At about this time they also bought the Thompson’s Lane Foundry.

Macintosh and Sons

Macintosh and Sons, 14 Market Hill


1891


1901

In this year the Macintosh shop front was renewed.

(14 1/2)

Sarah Warboys, 54, housekeeper, b Oakington

Sarah M Potter, 25, servant, b Derbys

Ada E Ginn, 23, servant, b Cambs

Louisa Nunn, 15, servant, b Cambs

Fred Williams, 21, boarder, draper’s assistant,  b Cambs

Henry Beale, 28, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Herts

Ernest Dinnage, 26, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Surrey

Arthur W Rutt, 29, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Cambridge

Charles L Rutt, 30, boarder, furnisher’s assistant, b Cambridge

James Hanks, 23, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Middlesex

Thomas H Mason, boarder, 29, draper’s assistant, b Waterbeach

Graham Fuller, 22, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Norfolk

Albert Geeson, 35, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Hunts

Henry E Philips, 23, boarder, b Devon


1913

A Macintosh & Sons, Ltd, ironmongers, engineers, founders and implement makers

5/2/1930: The novel sight of people being lowered from an upper window of Messrs Macintosh’s establishment in Market Street Cambridge by means of a new automatic fire escape has attracted considerable attention. The escape consists of a small metal box containing geared mechanism through which runs a steel cable with a safety belt fixed at each end. It can be fixed to the wall inside the window. The belt is placed round the body, under the arms and the person is lowered to the ground automatically at the rate of two feet per second. Most of the colleges have been equipped with it. Anybody desirous of testing the escape can do so and already a number of people, including one of the CDN photographers have done so. (Cam.News)

…………………

1927

A Macintosh bought 14A Market Hill from Eaden Lilley

…………………..

1962

A Macintosh & Sons Ltd, ironmongers. The firm went into voluntary liquidation in this year.

Premises were demolished soon after

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.