First Great Eastern Hospital 1914
First Great Eastern General Hospital, Trinity College
History of the First Great Eastern Hospital
At the outbreak of WWI a temporary home was needed for the First Eastern General Hospital while more permanent quarters were being built. On mobilisation its territorial and reservist staff were assembled at the Leys School, but soon more spacious quarters were found in Trinity College, in Neville’s Court, under the Wren Library.
For more information follow this link:
“Nevile’s Court a Hospital…”: The First Eastern General Hospital
Edward Conybeare recorded in his diaries events at the hospital day by day:
1914 15th August – Neviles Court turned into hospital. Took F [Mrs Conybeare] in hansom to see Trinity cloisters being floored for hospital.
The message on the back of the example of this postcard from the Museum of Cambridge makes it clear that those in the picture are Belgian wounded.
First Eastern General Hospital – post card message
Operating Theatre 1st Eastern General Hospital
Ward 6 1st Eastern General Hospital
First Eastern General Hospital Trinity College Nov 1914