Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Wisbech
  • Back Forward
A cyclist in a wide-brimmed hat rides past a row of historic buildings and groups of people on a tree-lined street in Wisbech.

Dukes Head, Church Terrace, Wisbech c1905 (Wisbech Museum(

Duke’s Head, Church Terrace, Wisbech

History of Duke's Head

In the photo Medcalf’s blacksmiths on right.

A very old inn; it used to have a sign which stretched across the road. originally a coaching inn.

1792-1796 Thomas Langman

1846-1852 Amelia Clarke

(source: The Inns and Taverns of Wisbech – a survey from the earliest times to 1950 by Arthur Artis Oldham, 1993)

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Wisbech

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wisbech

25 – 27 Apthorpe Street, Rising Sun, Fulbourn

Lord Nelson Inn / Nelson Coffee House

The Bull, Burrough Green

31 Market Place, Wisbech

30 Old Market, Wisbech

Chapel of Ease, Norwich Road, Walsoken

12 North Brink, Wisbech

Ship Defiance, Old Market, Wisbech

Wesleyan Chapel, The Crescent, Wisbech

6 North Brink, Wisbech

13 – 14 South Brink, Wisbech

6 North End, Wisbech

The Mermaid Inn, 36 Market Place, Wisbech