Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
Red brick brewery building with a rooftop sign reading Dales Brewery, featuring antique market signage and a parked vintage car.

Image courtesy of Ann Horn

181, Dales Brewery, Gwydir Street, Cambridge

History of Dales Brewery Gwydir Street

1881

William W Thompson, head, 61, retired stonemason, b Cambridge

Louisa Roads, 39, housekeeper, b Bucks


1891

William W Thompson, widower, 71, living on own means, b Cambridge

Lucy Roads, 48, housekeeper, b Bucks


1901

Theophilus Ambrose, 59, blacksmith, b Norfolk

Sabinia, 51, b Wilburton

Minnie M, 22, milliner, b Cambridge

Lily A, 16, draper’s assistant, b Cambridge

John H, 13, b Cambridge


1913 Dale’s Brewery

Frederick Dale, brewer wine and spirit merchant


1916

CDN 11.3.1916: Light in Dale’s Brewery Yard. William Smith of 6 Stone Terrace …. summoned for not obscuring two electric lights in a yard in Gwydir Street. Defendant pleaded guilty. Fine 10s.

CDN 4.4.1916: Zeppelin Menace. William Smith of 6 Stone Terrace Stone Street brewer’s labourer was summoned for failing to shade or reduce the lights at the brewery in Gwydir Street…. Defendant fined £1 “as this was the second offence.”


1918 see report on Pte F Archer 122 Ross Street.


A person stands between two parked trucks labelled Dale's Champion Beers near the corner of a building and a hanging pub sign.

Dale’s Brewery delivery van, 1920s


1937

Dale’s Brewery


1962

Dale’s Brewery, Whitbread and Co.


1970 not listed

The multi-storey brick Dales Brewery building on Gwydir Street features arched windows and a roof-mounted sign.

Dale’s former brewery minus Gold Cup (MoC19/92/70)


1972

A street scene shows cars parked along terraced houses, a prominent clock sign for Dales Brewery, and people walking and cycling.

Dale’s Brewery, Gwydir Street, c.1978


Stoneware jug with a dark imprint reading Frederick Dale, Brewer, Wine and Spirit Merchant, Cambridge on its rounded neck.

Dale’s Brewery © Museum of Cambridge

You can find more information about Dales Brewery here.

Close-up of a brown glass bottle neck with a dark, textured cap embossed with the word DALE in capital letters.

Dale’s Brewery

See also Dales Brewery Stores, Mill Road


2016

Mary Naylor recovered Dales brewery sign from Australia. You can read the story here:

Dales sign story 2

Sources

  • 1881 census
  • 1891 census
  • 1901 census
  • Kellys Directory
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • Newspaper
  • Unknown Source

Tags

  • brewery
  • Building of Local Interest
  • world war one

Projects

  • Gwydir Street
  • Museum Exhibit Stories

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

167, Bahia Cottage, Gwydir Street

6 Elm Street

4 Parker Street

130 Gwydir Street

50 Gwydir Street

190 Gwydir Street, Gothic Terrace

67 Gwydir Street

Gwydir Arms, 45 Gwydir Street, Cambridge

152 Gwydir Street

75 Gwydir Street

158 Gwydir Street

74 Gwydir Street

123 Gwydir Street