14 Market Hill, Macintosh and Sons
14 Market Hill
History of 14 Market Hill
According to 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge, a four storey house. The south front an early 18th century remodelling and heightening of an earlier structure. In the process the carriageway, presumably to the Angel Inn as shown in William Custance’s map of 1798, was destroyed.
The ironmongery here was founded in 1688. When Swann Hurrell took over the business from his uncle in 1847 he moved the foundry to a disused brewery on Quayside.
William Finch ironmonger took over premises. Four generation of Finches followed
Swann Hurrell, 40, ironmonger [nephew of the Finch family]
Mary Cooper, 38, servant
Elizabeth Cooper, 20, servant
James Chapman, 17, servant
James Hart, 19, servant
[In 1851 Swann Hurrell is at 7 Market Hill]
Thomas Edward Chisholm, 49, yeoman, b London
Mary Ann, 47, b Cambs
Thomas Donkin Chisholm, 25, b Cambridge
Mary Ann, 22, b Cambridge
Henry Edward, 18, b Cambridge
Thomas, 71, father, b Cambridge
Mary Ann, 50, b Cambridge
Hannah Donkin, mother in law, 79, b Durham
Jane Donkin, sister in law, 45, b Darlington
Caroline Donkin, sister in law, 35, b Darlington
Mary Ann Fisk, visitor, widow, 26, b Devon
William Rowton, 41, ironmonger’s clerk, b Cambridge
Mary, 51, b Cambridge
Hannah Ayres, 20, servant, b Bottisham
Swann Hurrell was succeeded by his nephew Edward Beales.
(occupied as a shop)
Alexander Macintosh bought the bankrupt ironmongery business of Edward Beales and moved to 14 Market Hill. They already hand premises at 21 and 23 Market Street, 2 Sussex Street, 49 Sidney Street and 54a Hills Road. At about this time they also bought the Thompson’s Lane Foundry.
Macintosh and Sons
Macintosh and Sons, 14 Market Hill
CC&J 27.4.1900: Case of theft of tools and money by Joseph Ryder of 177 Gwydir Street. Found guilt and given three months with hard labour.
MacIntosh, Market Hill (date unknown)
In this year the Macintosh shop front was renewed.
Sarah Warboys, 54, housekeeper, b Oakington
Sarah M Potter, 25, servant, b Derbys
Ada E Ginn, 23, servant, b Cambs
Louisa Nunn, 15, servant, b Cambs
Fred Williams, 21, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Cambs
Henry Beale, 28, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Herts
Ernest Dinnage, 26, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Surrey
Arthur W Rutt, 29, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Cambridge
Charles L Rutt, 30, boarder, furnisher’s assistant, b Cambridge
James Hanks, 23, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Middlesex
Thomas H Mason, boarder, 29, draper’s assistant, b Waterbeach
Graham Fuller, 22, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Norfolk
Albert Geeson, 35, boarder, draper’s assistant, b Hunts
Henry E Philips, 23, boarder, b Devon
Arthur W Hutt
[He had lived previously at 35 Bridge Street. He was living at this address at the time of his marriage in 1906 and then moved to 109 Mawson Road.]
Harvey’s Folding Pre-Electric vacuum cleaner c.1908, sold by Macintosh and Son © Museum of Cambridge
A Macintosh & Sons, Ltd, ironmongers, engineers, founders and implement makers
5/2/1930: The novel sight of people being lowered from an upper window of Messrs Macintosh’s establishment in Market Street Cambridge by means of a new automatic fire escape has attracted considerable attention. The escape consists of a small metal box containing geared mechanism through which runs a steel cable with a safety belt fixed at each end. It can be fixed to the wall inside the window. The belt is placed round the body, under the arms and the person is lowered to the ground automatically at the rate of two feet per second. Most of the colleges have been equipped with it. Anybody desirous of testing the escape can do so and already a number of people, including one of the CDN photographers have done so. (Cam.News)
Macintosh staff outing 1921 (MoC)
A Macintosh bought 14A Market Hill from Eaden Lilley
A Macintosh & Sons Ltd, ironmongers. The firm went into voluntary liquidation in this year.
Premises were demolished soon after