Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
11-12 Sidney Street

8 – 11 Sidney Street

History of 8 - 11 Sidney Street

1840s:

(11) Joshua Lee, tobacco pipe maker

On the string course of the parapet of this shop and on the top of the lead down-pipe from the roof gutter were carved the emblems of his trade – two churchwarden pipes. The rainwater pipe and the string course were rescued when the shop was demolished in 1936 and are now in the Museum of Cambridge.

1861:

(8)

Thomas Hunnybun, 60, coachmaker employing 22 men, b Cambridge

Ann, 54, b Cambridge

Ann Elizabeth, 27, b Cambridge

Frederick, 23, coachmaker, b Cambridge

Emily, 24, b Cambridge

Elizabeth Traylen, 24, housemaid, b Suffolk

Caroline Carter, 25, cook, Cambs

(9)

William Ellis, 44, plumber and glazier, b Cambs

Alice, 39, b Cambridge

Mary Ann Cattermole, cousin, 20, b Norfolk

Mary Ann Brand, 19, servant, b Essex

(10)

Robert Rutter, 40, confectioner, b Suffolk

Ann, 43, b Cambridge

Ann Elizabeth, 9, b Cambridge

Elizabeth Flabbell, 15, servant, b Cambridge

(11)

James Pawson Saul, 38, cabinet maker, b Cambridge

Mary Ann, 35, b Cambridge

Mary Ann, 11, b Cambridge

James Pawson, 4, b Cambridge

Rev. George Collins, 34, late curate of Holy Trinity, b Ireland

Elizabeth Mary Collins, 35, b Bucks

1913:

(8) Frederick Blott milliner and draper

(9) The National Provincial Bank of England R W Harley manager

Smith, University lodging house

(10) Prudential Assurance Co Ltd

County Public Health Department

(11) Arthur George Almond, tailor and robemaker

Arthur J Vellacott accountants

1934:

Marks and Spencer open at nos 8, 9 and 9a

1936:

Marks and Spencer take over nos. 10 and 11.

1962:

Marks & Spencers

2018:

(6-11)

Marks & Spencers

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.