2 Station Road, Poplar Cottage
Histgory of 2 Station Road
Hills Road Station Road junction looking south (pre installtion of war memorial). Poplar Cottage 2 Station Road on left.
Station and Hills Road junction in 1928 (Cambs Collection)
Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: part of the premises of Messrs. Rattee and Kent, builders, of two storeys, has walls of red and white brick and slate-covered roofs. The site was built by Rattee, who founded the business there in 1843. The house was built probably within the decade; the porch is an early addition…. The house is a remarkable example of virtuosity in bizarre pattern and colour composition by a builder……
George Kett, 61, carver and builder, employer 66 men
Sarah, 61, born Norfolk
Sussanah Elizabeth, 24, born Middlesex
Frederick James,22, born Cambridge
Jane Norman, servant, 21, born Cambs
Edmund J Kett, 29, builder’s assistant, born Cambridge
Anna E, 27, born Norfolk
Anna M, 4, born Cambridge
Bertha Cundell, servant, 20, born Cambs
Thomas S Adkins, builder’s clerk
Rebecca carter, servant, 55, housekeeper, born Melbourn
Thomas Samuel Atherton Adkins, 39, builder’s clerk, born Cambridge
Beatrice Ellen, 37, married 9 years, 2 children, 1 dead, born Cambridge
Thomas Charles, 6, born Cambridge
Margeruite [sic] Elizabeth Turner, servant, 16, born Burwell
T S A Adkin
The cottage here is the original cottage attached to the Ratte and Kett yeard. It seems in 1917 to have still been leased by Susan Elizabeth Kett from Jesus College although she had lived for several years with her daughter and son-in-law. In the photo of Sattion Road, Poplar Cottage is on the right hand edge.
This fire insurance certificate seems very likely to be that for Poplar Cottage.
Poplar Cottage was demolished in 1960.