13 Hooper Street
A boot maker, railway workers, dressmakers, a bottler and a chemist
13 Hooper Street, also called Leeds Cottage, is attached to 14 Hooper Street.
The first inhabitants were boot maker Frank Humphreys, his wife Rachel and their four children. Frank was from Brighton and Rachel was from Dorset, and they had lived briefly in Chatham, Kent, before moving to Cambridge. The family did not stay long in Cambridge. By 1891 they had settled in Lewes, Sussex, where Frank ran a business selling boots and shoes.
By 1891 the inhabitants were railway inspector Charles Hines and his wife Eliza, both from near Ipswich, with three adult children and a grand-daughter, 5 year-old Gladys. Their daughters Helena and Ada were a tailoress and a dressmaker, and 17 year-old Charles worked as a railway telegraph operator.
In 1901 the house was occupied by railway fireman Frank Swann, his wife Kate, their 3 year-old daughter Eleanor, and Kate’s two daughters from a previous marriage, Louie and Minnie.
In 1911 the inhabitants were James and Alice Kefford and their two children. James worked as a bottler at a mineral water works.
By 1939 the house was occupied by Reginald Gilbert and his wife Dorothy. Reginald was a laboratory assistant chemist. He and Dorothy were still listed on the electoral register for 13 Hooper Street in 1966.
UK census records (1841 to 1911), General Register Office birth, marriage and death indexes (1837 onwards), the 1939 England and Wales Register, and electoral registers.