14 Hooper Street
TAG LINE TO COME
14 Hooper Street, also called Leeds House, is on the north side of Hooper Street. It is joined on one side to no. 13, Leeds Cottage.
1881 and 1891
The head of the first household was in fact from Leeds. He was Thomas Holder, a shoemaker born in 1830. He had moved to Cambridge by 1859, when he married Mary Ann Lawrence. They shared the house with a lodger, Edward Greenwood, a carpenter from Thaxted in Essex.
1901 to 1939
By 1901 the inhabitants were tailor Thomas Hinson, his wife Alice (née Hines) and their children. Apparently Edward Greenwood had become a fixture of the house, as he was still boarding there in 1901.
The Hinson family had been touched by tragedy. In the 1890s five of their children – including a twin – had died very young, some within a few weeks of birth. At the time of the 1901 census they had three surviving children over the age of 10 – Sissy, May and Alfred – and a 4 day-old baby girl, as yet unnamed. That tiny baby, baptised Maud Beatrice, was to live to the age of 87.
In 1911 three of the children were still living at home, but the eldest, Sissy, was now blind. Her brother Alfred helped Thomas with his tailoring business at home, but he also worked as a printer.
Thomas died in 1918. In 1939 Alice, Sissy and Maud were still living at 14 Hooper Street. Sissy was now diabetic as well as blind. She died in 1941.
In 1939 Maud was working as a college bedmaker. In 1922 she had married LNER engine driver Lawrence Bishop, and as late as 1930 he is listed in the electoral register for 14 Hooper Street. In that same year, however, he is also listed in the electoral register for Papworth Hall, which was then an experimental colony for the treatment of tuberculosis, founded in 1916. Many of the earliest patients were World War I soldiers who had contracted tuberculosis in the trenches. At that time, before antibiotics were available, treatment of tuberculosis relied on exposure to fresh air, and patients often slept on open balconies. Sadly, Lawrence Bishop never returned home permanently, and he died in Papworth in 1944.
After Alice died in 1946, her grandson Alfred Stanley Hinson lived in the house with his family. The Hinson family sold the house to the present owners in 1982.
UK census records (1841 to 1911), General Register Office birth, marriage and death indexes (1837 onwards), the 1939 England and Wales Register, and electoral registers.
For the origins of Royal Papworth Hospital, see https://royalpapworth.nhs.uk/our-hospital/our-history.