Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

15 Hooper Street

A boiler maker, a police constable and a tobacconist

15 Hooper Street is at the western end of Leeds Terrace.

1881

James Walsh, 54, assistant boiler maker, b. London
Sarah Walsh, 46, b. Biddistone, Wiltshire
Kate Walsh, 18, b. Whilley, Wiltshire
James Walsh, 15, b. Biddistone, Wiltshire
Minnie Walsh, 12, b. London

By 1891 the Walsh family had moved three doors along to no. 18.

1891

Charles Brown, 38, police constable, b. Balsham, Cambridgeshire
Charlott Brown, 37, b. Horseheath, Cambridgeshire
Horace P Brown, 9, scholar, b. Cambridge
Nellie M Brown, 7, scholar, b. Cambridge
Frederick C Brown, 5, scholar, b. Cambridge

1901

Charles Brown, 48, retired police constable, b. Cambridge
Charlotte Brown, 47, b. Cambridge
Horace Brown, 19, tobacconist, b. Cambridge
Frederick Brown, 16, b. Cambridge

1911

Charles Brown, 58, police pensioner, library cleaner, b. Balsham, Cambridgeshire
Charlotte Brown, 58, b. West Wratting, Cambridgeshire
Horace Brown, 29, tobacco dealer, b. Cambridge
4 years married, 4 children, 1 died

In 1891 Charles Brown was a police constable; his brother Sampson, also a police constable, was living next door at no. 16. By 1901, aged 48, Charles had retired, but he was still working: in Kelly’s Directories for 1904 and 1916 he is listed as ‘Chas Brown, tobacconist’. His son Horace was also a tobacconist, and they ran the business from home. In 1911 Charles was working as a library cleaner, possibly at Mill Road Library.

1939

In 1939 the house was inhabited by two elderly widows, Harriet Ivett and Emily Woollard. Harriet and Emily were cousins, both with the maiden name Roope; Harriet was the niece of Charlotte Brown, so the house stayed in the same family for about 50 years.

Sources

UK census records (1841 to 1911), General Register Office birth, marriage and death indexes (1837 onwards), the 1939 England and Wales Register, electoral registers, and Kelly’s Directory of Cambridgeshire (from 1879).

When wallpaper was stripped in 1995, faint traces of an old decorative scheme were visible.

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.