Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

24 Hooper Street

A barman, a bricklayer, a laundress and a railway labourer

24 Hooper Street is one of a terrace of five houses on the south side of Hooper Street.

1881

The first inhabitants were barman John Sparrow, his wife Martha, their four young children Olivia, John, Lilian and Frederick, and Martha’s sister Fanny, who worked as a mantle maker. John was from Huntingdon and Martha and Fanny were from Ickleton.

1891

In 1891 the inhabitants were Eliza Churchman, her three children Harry, Alice and Ada, and lodger Ernest Chaplin. Eliza’s husband William – a railway mail guard – had died two years earlier. In 1891 Harry Churchman, aged 15, and Ernest Chaplin were both grocer’s assistants; Alice was a nurse maid.

Eliza’s mother-in-law Charlotte lived at 27 Hooper Street.

1901

In 1901 the house was occupied by bricklayer Edmund Graves, his wife Harriet, their grandson Frank, and two lodgers, William Cotterell and William Willim. Frank was a porter, William Cotterell was a gardener, William Willim was another bricklayer, and Harriet ran a laundry business from home.

Ten years later Harriet, now a widow, presided over a crowded multi-generational household in Vicarage Terrace, with grandson Frank, his wife and two baby daughters, three other grandchildren, and two lodgers, one of which was William Cotterell.

1911

In 1911 the inhabitants were Frederick Braybrook, his wife Elizabeth, their baby son Stanley, and Elizabeth’s daughter Doris. Frederick was a labourer on the railway.

Sources

UK census records (1841 to 1911), General Register Office birth, marriage and death indexes (1837 onwards), the 1939 England and Wales Register, and electoral registers.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.