Search by topic
Search by text
1-5 Sidney Street, Lloyd’s Bank (Foster’s Bank)
History of 1-5 Sidney Street
Junction of St Andrew’s and Sidney Streets.
The Capital and Counties Bank Ltd (late Fosters’) W G Hobbs manager
The photo above shows the appearance of no.1 Sidney Street presumably before it was taken over by Foster’s Bank.
1-5 Sidney Street, Foster’s Bank
The surviving building was designed by the famous architect Alfred Waterhouse who also designed Girton College and the Natural History Museum in London. He was commissioned by the Foster family who wanted a new location for their bank which had outgrown its old location in Trinity Street. Both the exterior and interior of the building are impressive.
31/8/1939: Lloyd’s Bank practiced evacuating their staff to air raid shelters in the two strong rooms adjoining the main hall of the bank. Those in Lloyds Bank Chambers used a specially constructed cat-walk over the roof to the fire escape window. The two strong rooms are situated one below the other and a trapdoor will supply a means of escape should one of the entrances become blocked. In the event of a raid customers can accompany the staff or seek the nearest public shelter in wine vaults under Peas Hill (Cam.News)