Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trinity Street
  • Back Forward
A three-story red brick building with a gabled roof and a green storefront labeled Giles & Co at street level.

4 Trinity Street

History of 4 Trinity Street

4 Trinity Street was the address of the business set up in 1761 by Gilbert Woollard also associated with 5-6 Trinity Street. (see family papers)

The street view shows multi-storey brick buildings with shops on the ground floor and tram tracks curving across the foreground.

Trinity Street south end

William Whewell, Master of Trinity, is credited with the construction of nos 4 & 5 Trinity Street in 1850. The two properties have red brick, ‘bargeboards and fashionable chamfered timbers’ according to Pevsner.

1871

John L Palmer, 53, college butler, b Wisbech

Mary, 51, b Suffolk

John B, 26, Navigating ?? R N Acting List, b Essex

Charles W, 24, attorney & solicitor, b Essex

Louisa M, 18, b Cambridge

Samuel, 16, b Cambridge

Arthur, 14, b Cambridge

Agnes Shaw, 18 general servant, b Soham

Tags

  • architecture

Projects

  • Trinity Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trinity Street

136 Cherry Hinton Road (Eagle Cottage), Cambridge

28 Gwydir Street

Department of Architecture, Scroope Terrace

30 Trinity Street

5-6 Trinity Street

18 Trinity Street

37 Trinity Street

23 Trinity Street, Cambridge

King’s Hall

The Strange Letter of Cornelius Inglis, November 6th 1845

27 Trinity Street

Gonville and Caius College

7 & 8 Trinity Street