Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
33 Bridge Street

33 Bridge Street, The Fox and Goose

History of 33 Bridge Street

West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century

For detailed history see T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s Parish, 2006.

c. 1260: Eustace Eldkorn

1617-19: Robert Coward, waterman, later Widow Coward

1659-72: Robert Coward in nos. 33/34 in 1666; Sarah Coward widow in Fox and Goose in 1672.

1666: one of 4 tenements left by John Hills to John Tabor

1673-1700: John Fisher, waterman, for Fox and Goose in 1673-74

1690: Mr Peppiatt occupied; estate owned by Mr Tabor

1717: 33 & 34 were in the estate of Sir George Downing.

1752: Fox and Goose not listed

1811: Downing estate put up for auction. highest bid from William Eaden senior, linen draper. Vendors were Downing College.

1827: Eadens mortgaged the property for £2000; the property had been rebuilt to provide:

  1. a ‘newly-erected tenement adjoining the Great Bridge’ with ‘wharf, granaries, malt chambers, counting house’, etc
  2. another newly erected tenement with shop which adjoined

These tenements are nos. 33 and 34 Bridge Street.

…………..

1851: John Eaden, 77, magistrate and corn merchant

………….

1861: William Eaden, 60, maltster

………….

1871: Edward Bell, seed merchant

…………

1885: estate sold by Eadens to Benjamin Jolley

………….

1913:

B Jolley and sons, furniture dealers

……………

1928: St John’s bought property from Benjamin C Jolley

…………….

1962:

W J Moore Ltd, pianos

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.